As with the old saying goes, “the squeaky wheel gets the grease.” This holds true in the business world, as well as other places. Those businesses that are proactive in doing things that can get them heard and noticed will end up getting the grease, or the buzz. So, all you need to do is to start doing some things to crank up the opportunities to get buzz!
Here are 6 simple ways that you can get started in cranking up the buzz about your business:
1. Don’t follow the competition. Many companies spend a ridiculous amount of money on advertising that is traditional, but not effective. Think outside the box and get the word spread using guerrilla and innovative techniques. If the old methods worked for you, you probably wouldn’t be reading this article.
2. Taboo is good. Topics such as sex, bathroom humor, and unusual or extreme concepts are all seen as being too taboo for marketing. RRRnnnt, wrong! Start using these topics to get things stirred up by incorporating them into your marketing plan. There is a reason why the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) does outrageous stunts – it creates buzz, which later helps them fundraise to the tune of an annual income of over $30 million per year.
3. Secrets are tons of fun. If someone isn’t supposed to tell you something and they do, you get excited. People love secrets; they start conversations and always get leaked. The trick is to leak it at the right time, so it will get people talking.
4. Pick a fight. Identify a competitor or an opposing ideal and make it the enemy by challenging it. People love to rally around fights. Let people know why you have challenged your competitor, so they will feel compelled to join your side. Just be sure that in your quest to pick a fight with your competitor that you also keep the next tip in mind.
5. Honesty breeds clients. Be honest and truthful about your marketing and what you are trying to accomplish. You’re trying to get your name out there, so let them know that. Don’t lie or mislead; people don’t like to feel like they are being manipulated. The buzz you raise about your company will be there for the long haul if you are honest and sincere.
6. Do something outrageous or surprising. Just think about the buzz that was created when GoldenPalace.com purchased the grilled cheese sandwich in the likeness of the Virgin Mary. They spent $28,000 on a partially eaten sandwich and ended up with headlines on every news outlet in the country. While you don’t have to do something this outrageous, you can most likely find ways to get exposure by raising some eyebrows.
Local to Global
Whether you are trying to reach customers on a local scale or a global one, there are things that you can do to create some buzz. You just need to be creative and see what will give you the most bang for your buck. Rather than simply writing a check each month that goes to advertising costs, brainstorm some ideas of what you can do to generate some buzz for your business. Give them a try, and before you know it, you may just hear the buzz of business success right around the corner!